Thursday, November 20, 2008

A Promise to the Earth

I've decided that I'm never buying wrapping paper or gift bags again. Beginning immediately. I can reuse the ones I already have here (most of them have a baby boy theme--that'll be funny at Christmas!) but I'm done supporting the industry. It's great that gift bags can be reused, but most only are used a time or two before they are too tattered to be used again. I'm not sure about other places, but where I live, wrapping paper cannot be recycled, so that too ends up in our local landfill.

If only I could get over my 'need' to do the card thing. I love sending and receiving Christmas and birthday cards. I have a friend who says she no longer does the card thing. I can't bring myself to do that yet. I'm socially awkward and feel like I have a hard time connecting to people, so this is a way to show them that I care and that I'm thinking of them.

I know I have a long way to go before I can consider myself one of those extreme-green people, but every little bit helps. I try my best. This has always been important to me, but now that BB is in my life and in the world, I feel a greater urgency to help protect the earth.

No comments: