Monday, December 1, 2008

Best Nanaimo Bars Ever

I used to buy the box of nanaimo bar mix.  You know, the kind that you just add some butter and milk to, then press them into the pan.  I thought they were wonderful.  Until last Christmas.  I was about four months pregnant, and all I could taste was chemicals.  I swore off the boxes of nanaimo bars forever.  

Fast forward to now.  Or a couple weeks ago actually.  I received an email from Rogers Media with some receipes.  (I seem to get a lot of emails from random companies with recipes.)  This particular email had a recipe for Quintessentially Canadian Nanaimo Bars, which I decided to make today.  It was an all day affair, not because the recipe is that difficult, but because I had to work on them whenever I had the time.  I prepared the base while BB was in his Jumperoo just before his afternoon nap.  I spent his nap-time making tonight's supper.  The creamy middle was prepared after supper, while DH watched BB for me.  And the chocolate topping was prepared after BB went to bed tonight.  30 minutes later I got to try them.  Oh.  My.  Gawd.  They are wonderful.  

I have to admit, I was sketched out by adding the raw egg to the base.  I even considered omitting it.  Next time I make them, I'll probably buy some of that fake egg product, just to be on the safe side.

I doubled the receipe and put them into my 9x13 pan instead of the 8x8 the recipe calls for, and it worked out beautifully.  My plan was to put them in the freezer as part of my Christmas baking.  Now I'm not sure if they're going to be put in the freezer, or into my belly.

No comments: