Saturday, July 10, 2010

And this isn't a drug post either...

Way back in high school, a few lifetimes ago, my boyfriend, J, introduced me to incense. (No, we weren't stoners.) Anywhere we could find incense, we bought it. I recall my dad becoming very pissy with me over the whole thing. Maybe he thought we were up to "no good" with it? No idea. One night he came to my room and yelled at me because the cat was in there with me and the incense. Apparently incense can be detrimental to a cat's health? Again, I have no idea.

This morning, after my trip to the market, I stopped by Aura. As I was working my way around the store, slowly filling up my basket, I was suddenly hit with a wonderful smell. I looked to see what it was, and came across a display of incense. I'm not sure if it was the incense that smelled so good, or the sweet grass draped above the display, but the smell convinced me to put a package of incense into the basket.

When I got home, I realized that I no longer have an incense burner. I don't think I've used it in over ten years, so something like that would have disappeared years ago. I googled "makeshift incense burner" and found few suggestions that inspired me to make my own.

Yes, this is a cuddles-original incense burner. A hole punched in an empty berry box, incense stick shoved through the hole, a piece of tape on the inside of the box anchoring the incense, and a piece of foil to catch the ashes. (Yes, they could have dropped on the stove. I probably didn't need to waste the foil, but I didn't want to take a chance with my first attempt.)

Anyway, it did the trick. I'm impressed with myself. Normally I would have hopped in the car and headed back to town for what I needed.

And the incense? I'm incredibly happy with my impulse buy. And according to the manufacturer's website, the profits go to a clinic in India. Who knew $2.50 could bring so much good to the world.

No comments: