Thursday, December 2, 2010

This, that, and the other

I'm having a do nothing night tonight. Lately I've kept busy puttering around the house during the evenings, tidying up, working on my budget, etc. It's been a bit, so I figure it's time to take a few minutes to record some of the stuff cluttering my mind.

- BG had her first bath in the big-person tub last night. I was a bit apprehensive about moving her out of the little blue tub, but she loved every second of it. When we moved BB over to the big tub he cried and screamed... I ended up getting in with him for a week after we made the switch. I recall writing about it, actually. BG is definitely a different child from BB. Tonight I put both of them in together. It went really well. BB tried to help me bath BG (he rubbed the soap on her belly) and waited patiently while I got her bath out of the way. He even was patient with her as she climbed onto him while I was trying to wash her. He often screams, "No, BG, No!" whenever she touches him, but didn't do it in the tub.

- About the "No, BG, No!" What made BB feel that it is undesirable for his younger sibling to touch him? I know that most kids don't seem to want to be touched by a sibling, but how do they know that it is undesirable? BG has always been very affectionate, and loves to be touched. But as soon as his little sister started reaching for him, he started yelling no to her. He spends no time with other kids to pick up on this... it's totally come from within him. I don't get it.

- My appetite is back, and it is insatiable. The scales are creeping up.

- Not unrelated, I've finally started running again. I even signed up for the Resolution Run on Jan. 1. It's a 5k run. Right now I'm at 3.75k. On the treadmill. I would like to be outside running, but it's just not possible. Hopefully I can pull this off. I know of a lot of people who are going to be there and I don't want to make a fool of myself.

- I'm annoyed with the stores at the mall right now. Every store seems to want your email address so they can send you coupons and updates. Also, stuffed in my purse and wallet, I have so many coupons to be used between this date and that date. Having to print out coupons via email, etc. is too much effort for me. I can't keep the ones they're giving me at the checkout straight, how the hell am I supposed to keep track of the ones via email too? Yeah, I know this isn't a huge problem, but my beef is this: Just give me the damn discount and stop screwing around with all of the coupons. It must cost these chains money to run the coupon program, and it's not buying my goodwill toward the store.

- I'm in love with pickled peppers right now. N gave me a jar of them for my birthday (like the ones you get with your sandwich at Quiznos) and they sat in my cupboard until a couple of weeks ago when she and S were here for lunch. We cracked open those bad boys and ever since, I've been eating them like they're going out of style. (Side note, I just finished typing this and I somehow managed to get the juice from the peppers in my eye. Never in my life has my eye burned like that. Wow.)

- I met a guy from eHarmony for dinner on Monday night. He has become Bachelor A in my Twitter convos, so that's what I will refer to him as here. Everything is where it needs to be. He seems nice enough. His ex girlfriend is still living with him even though they broke up two or three years ago... That's weird. And it sounds like she hasn't really moved on. So I'm left to wonder, are they really not together? He told me that she's supposed to be out by the end of the year, but really, if she hasn't left in this many years, is she really going to be out by then? The whole thing sounds sketch. But then, people might think that things between me and XH are a bit sketch too. I promised H that I would see this guy three times before making any decisions. If it weren't for H, I'd have dropped him already. Sure he was nice, but I didn't feel anything. But H gives me shit for not giving these guys a chance. He does recommend; however, that I have a discussion with Bachelor A about his living situation the next time we go out, and tell him that I have concerns about the whole thing. Something about him reminds me of J, and that doesn't sit well with me. We shall see.

- Bachelor B: Last week one of my mother's friends (my honorary aunt) sent me a message on FB asking if I had a special someone in my life right now. (Yes, she used the words "special someone".) She went on to explain that she knows this guy through her work (she works with his father) and thought that we might be interested in one another. She told him about me and my situation, and he didn't seem to mind the idea of the kids. She added him to FB so I could creep him, and later that same night he added me as a friend. I gave him a day to see if he would send me a message... I wanted him to be the one to reach out. I've spent the last year chasing. First XH, then H. Anyway, after a day I still hadn't heard from him, and as H pointed out to me, waiting for him to make the first move was game playing. I had to agree. So I sent him a message. He said, yep, he was very interested but was away for the weekend and would be in touch when he returned. I said great and that I was looking forward to meeting him. He then replied and told me his schedule is tight for this week, but that next week would work. My reply basically asked him for a couple of days notice so I can arrange for a sitter. He sent a message yesterday morning saying that either Monday or Friday next week work, but that he isn't good at going on a date, but he will try. WTF? Wow, okay, is he really lacking in confidence? I'm attracted to men with self-confidence... my gut is now saying this won't go anywhere.

- My ex-MIL is coming to visit tomorrow. She's a nice person. Really. And she'll probably always be family. But, I sometimes find that relationship to be so draining. And it really has nothing to do with the break-up, but more to do with me having one less reason to be pleasant and sociable now.

- I'm tired but I can't bring myself to go to sleep at night. This isn't the existence I ever imagined for myself... but that being said, I guess when I was a kid, I never pictured myself being a happily married grown up. I always pictured myself being single. So when I found myself married with kids, I was like, "Wow!" But maybe being alone is where I'm supposed to be. Blah.

- H is still around. It's been almost three and a half weeks since his big apology (a.k.a. the night we kissed and made up.) He's seeing someone else already and seems to really like her. I'm happy that he's happy. Yes, I'm being honest here. It stings a bit, but we have a pretty good thing going right now. He makes me push myself to do things I normally wouldn't do (see above re: giving Bachelor A a second chance.) I seem to act as the little angel on his shoulder. I'm feeling good just having my buddy back. I will live without the other stuff. Right now our friendship is kind of intense... probably just the newness of being able to be friends again. I'm guessing it will fade a bit soon, especially with him being in a new relationship. But as long as I know things are okay between us, it's okay if that happens.

- I think I need to find an activity of some sort to get me out of the house. A new hobby... something that will only take one evening a week, since getting someone to watch the kids can be difficult. If anyone reading has any ideas, I'll gladly entertain them.

No comments: