Thursday, November 13, 2008

Getting it Together, Day 2

Yesterday while I was perusing random blogs, I found a link to a website that helps you get your house organized and clean. They encourage you to take baby steps and have a 31 day plan to get you into the game. Day 1 all you need to do is clean your sink. Let me tell you, my sink has been disgusting as of late. Seriously. Most people have stainless steel type sinks in their kitchens, but the kitchen in my house came with a big white sink, I think it's granite or something? I love my sink with all my heart. But it stains easily. If you put something in it that can rust, the rust stains. Curry stains. Coffee stains. Although it's been wiped out and cleaned on occasion, it hasn't been bleached since long before BB's arrival. So I bleached my sinks last night. That's all I had to do.

I one-upped on Day 1 though. I'm having someone to our house this weekend to do a photo session with BB and then a family session with all three of us. I knew the floors needed to be tackled before a stranger could come into the house. So the day before yesterday I cleaned the hardwood (speaking of which, does anyone have any recommendations for a hardwood cleaner that is not filled with nasty chemicals but will make your floor shine?) and yesterday I mopped the kitchen and bathroom. Again, I don't remember the last time I did these things.

Today is Day 2. The expectation for today is to get dressed. Yep. Get dressed. According to this website, I'm supposed to get up 15 minutes before my family gets up so I can get dressed from head to toe. Clothes, shoes, make-up, the whole nine yards. I don't think this website was written by someone who currently has a six month old. I can't predict from one day to the next when BB is going to wake up. This morning, he decided it was time to begin his day at 04:45. I think I just need to adapt the program to my situation. So during his morning naps, I should get myself cleaned up. This means less time on the Internet. I already feel the withdrawal shakes coming on! There is also a second expectation for today. Clean the sink before going to bed. I don't think I'll bleach it again; although, a second bleaching might get rid of the few little rust stains that are still there. I think I'll just get out the Method and give it a bit of elbow-grease for today.

This website also sends you emails throughout the day with suggestions of other tasks you could complete, often disguised as 'challenges'. There are also motivational emails. I read a copule but didn't feel very motivated. In fact, I felt annoyed. But since I've proven that I'm a hopeless housekeeper, I'm going to give this a try.

No comments: