Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Banana Snack Cake

I love how a scent or a flavour can take me back in time.  Right now I'm enjoying a cup of Almond Rocker tea and a piece of banana snack cake.  I haven't had this tea since the summer...  when BB was a tiny baby boy, when I was beyond tired, when a cup of this tea would make me feel like I was a little bit more connected to the world.  It's funny, it was a difficult time but I really miss it.  Not that I'm not happy how things are now; I'm sure that in a few months I'll be missing right now too.  I think more than anything I'd love to be able to re-live it all again.  These past (almost) nine months have been such a wonderful time for me.  

Hmmm... I didn't begin this post with the intent of talking about the tea.  It was actually the banana snack cake that I was thinking about.  I've loved to bake for as long as I can remember.  When I was little I'd beg mom to let me bake something.  Every so often she would give in.  I'd mix lots of everything into a bowl, and then she'd pop it into the oven for me.  I remember all of my creations always tasted very salty.  :)  I was feeling a bit creative yesterday afternoon.  Rather than winging it the way I used to when I was a kid, I started with a recipe, but changed it significantly to make it a bit healthier.  The result is pretty darned tasty!  Normally the first time I make a recipe, I do it exactly the way the original recipe says so I can evaluate whether it's even worth trying to improve it.  But yesterday I could see so many opportunities to improve on this recipe, so I just jumped in.  I chose this recipe because it has mashed banana in it, and I had three over-ripe bananas sitting on my counter screaming at me to do something with them!  Without further ado, here is my wonderful recipe!

Banana Snack Cake

1 cup all purpose flour
1 cup whole wheat flour
1 cup sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Mix together, set aside.

2 eggs
1/4 cup canola oil
3 mashed, ripe bananas
1/2 cup sour cream (go for the low-fat stuff)
1 tsp vanilla
1/2 cup chocolate chips (I used the normal sized ones, but minis would be good.)

With a mixer, mix the eggs and canola oil in another bowl.  Then add the bananas, sour cream, and vanilla, mixing well again.  Gradually add the dry ingredients to the went ingredients, mixing well after each addition.  Fold in chocolate chips.

Pour batter into a greased 9 x 13 baking pan (I used a Pyrex dish) and bake in preheated 350F oven for 28 minutes (use a toothpick to test that it is done.)  Cool on a wire rack, cut into 16 pieces and store in an airtight container.  

What are you waiting for?  Give it a try!  :)


3 comments:

Beyond A Mommy said...

Sounds Delicious! Yummy!

LLW said...

I'm definitely going to try this out! Thanks for sharing it!
I love banana bread; and this sounds even better. I posted a great banana cupcake recipe on chicks and whisks that my great grandmother used to make. Beware though; addictive and you will eat a few at once! lol

And, I'm sure for the next 18 years your going to have many moments of utter bliss where you wish you could freeze time or re-live, reminise the awesome moments with little BB. :) It sounds like your having an awesome time!

cuddles said...

Thanks for the comments! :)

breathin', I saw your banana cupcake recipe, and made a mental note to give it a try! Looks yummy. I've been finding any and all home-baked goods to be addictive lately.