Monday, February 9, 2009

Ewwww!

Since starting BB on solids, I've noticed that he seems to become a bit constipated if I don't eat lots of fibre.  He's normally a poop once (maybe twice) a day kind of guy, but if I don't fibre it up, he'll skip a day.  Very recently I've noticed that when he skips a day, the following day it takes a long while for him to get things moving again.  It starts off with what my mother used to call a 'bunny turd' in his diaper, and then later on he'll have a real bowel movement.  I'm not sure what the connection is between my fibre intake and his BMs (it's not like bits of fibre flow out of my breasts!  I think I would feel that!) but there definitely does seem to be a connection.

Normally for breakfast I'll eat a bowl of oatmeal with wheat germ and ground flax seed mixed in, and some cinnamon sprinkled on top.  I'm getting a bit tired of this, and I'm starting to use crazy amounts of brown sugar on top of the concoction to try to choke it down.  

So last week, I decided that I would take another break from the oatmeal, but to make sure that I didn't cause any issues for BB, I started eating bran cereal for breakfast instead.  I don't have any BM issues, so I'm doing this entirely for BB (but I know that the fibre is good for me, even if I don't have any issues.)  Apparently the bran wasn't enough though, and he had another incident this weekend.  So yesterday morning I filled my bowl up with my oatmeal mixture again.  I noticed that the wheat germ seemed to be going lumpy, but I didn't think anything of it.  

Yesterday afternoon I wasn't feeling well...  was super nauseous.  I assumed it was simply because I was over tired.  

This morning I was preparing my bowl of oatmeal.  I had everything mixed up and was about to add water, when I picked out one of the little lumps of wheat germ.  It looked like it had a bit of mould on it.  I tossed the lump into the compost bucket, and picked out another one.  Same thing.  I went to the pantry and hauled out the container of wheat germ.  Yep, there was small blue fuzzies growing over all of the wheat germ.  

Since mould is actually one of the things I'm very allergic to, it's not surprising that I felt sick after eating a couple tablespoons of mouldy wheat germ with my breakfast yesterday.  Yucky, yuck, yuck, yuck!

2 comments:

Micah and Katie said...

Hey just wondering how the pizza pockets turned out?? When I roll out my dough I love using the rolling pin. I find that I can get it to roll out better then when I pat it

cuddles said...

Hi Katie! I'm going to try the pizza pockets next week, I think. Thanks for the tip about the rolling pin... I was hoping to hear from you before I attempted them! I'll let you know how they turn out!
Thanks for stopping by! Please visit anytime!