Thursday, February 26, 2009

My Favourite Ladies are No Longer Whole

I normally don't pay much attention to the stuff that goes on in the entertainment world.  I am completely out of touch with it all.  I used to find it somewhat interesting when I had lots of time to kill reading about their silly lives, but now all of that celebrity gossip stuff just irritates me.  And now suddenly, I'm searching it out...

Yesterday morning I received an email from N sending me her condolences on Steven Page leaving Barenaked Ladies.  I was hoping with all of my being that it was a joke.  Nope, not a joke.  *sigh*  Normally I wouldn't care about such a thing.  This stuff happens.  But this is different. This is BNL.  These guys have been such a huge part of my life for about 15 years.  So many of their songs touch me in a way that most songs don't, and others still make me laugh out loud, even after I've heard them (literally) thousands of times.  I've been a bit distraught over the whole thing.  Yeah, I know, seems minor in the big scheme of what's currently going on in my life, but I can't help but feel a strong sense of loss over this whole thing.  He brought so much personality to the band's songs and to the band itself.  They say they're going to continue on without him, but I'm not sure how complete they will be now.  They're supposed to be recording a new album this fall, so I guess we'll see...  I have to say though, if I was to have expected anyone to walk away, it totally would have been him.  He seems to be a complex guy with a few demons that he's dealing with.  Hopefully he finds happiness in his solo career.  I am very very happy that I got to see them in Saint John two years ago this past Monday night.  Definitely an amazing experience that I will never forget.  They totally put a cherry on top of the concert for me by performing my all time favourite song, What A Good Boy, as their final encore.  

Since I'm thinking about music right now... I've recently discovered some very cool music.  I noticed that some of my friends from high school are fans on Facebook of someone named Marty Kolls.  I didn't think much of it.  Then last week it suddenly dawned on me that "Marty" might be a stage name for "Martha", and I went to high school with a girl named Martha Kolls.  I checked out her fan page, her website, and her myspace, and sure enough, it's Martha.  We weren't friends or anything, I just remember her.  She was pretty and seemed nice, but she seemed completely out of my league.  Her myspace page has some of her songs so I checked them out... then I bought both of her CDs from her site.  :)  They were only $5 each, so I didn't really have to worry about breaking the bank...  I'm sure that in May I'll be thinking twice before doing something like this.  Anyway, I'm really enjoying her music.  I played some while BB was eating lunch today and he was totally grooving to it.  Pretty cute.  :)  

2 comments:

ML said...

I think we're kindred spirits! What a Good Boy is my most favouritest BNL song too ;-)

cuddles said...

You can't possibly go wrong with that song. Do you also feel like it was written about you?